sfplnj logo

 

FacebookTwitterinstagramsmartpay

66 Mountain Avenue
Springfield, NJ 07081
(973) 376 4930

 

Search Our Catalog:

sfplnj logo

 

Local History

Library History

The Springfield Free Public Library began in 1931 as a creation of the Springfield Parent-Teacher Association, which donated $50.00 toward its beginning. Then called the Springfield Library Association, the library consisted of 1000 volumes and was housed in the Brookside Building at the corner of Morris and Mountain Avenues. Within the first year approximately 750 library cards had been issued.

In 1943 the library was moved to the Sarah Bailey House located in Church Mall. The 125 year old house was built by a merchant named Samuel Bailey and given to the town after the death of his daughter Sarah. Sarah Bailey’s will stipulated that the house “shall be used for the purpose and as a site for a public library.” An addition to the library building was completed in April, 1957.
Ground was broken at the present site at 66 Mountain Avenue in 1966 and the building was completed in 1969.
Improvements to the library building were made in 2004, including the construction of an audio-visual room, a “Teen Room,” and quiet study rooms.

Springfield History

Contact the Springfield Historical Society for information about local history. While at the library, link to our collection of digitized documents: this collection can also be accessed from home. You will be able to view historical pictures, newspapers and documents.

Digitized copies of Jonathan Dayton High School yearbooks are online at the Springfield Free Public Library section of the Internet Archive's American Libraries site.  These include the years 1940 through 1969 and 1980 through 2007. Digitization of yearbooks was made possible by a grant from the EMC Heritage Trust project.

Print Email